White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are attractive for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that flatter a wide range of home styles. Plus, white goes with anything, even as décor styles progress over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s to be worried that the sun may discolor them. This is namely true if your home receives intense sunlight or faces south. It’s useful to know that not all window treatments are built the same. And that a few types of plantation shutters are more exposed to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you painful sunburns. They’re also responsible for discoloring your white plantation shutters, especially if you have inexpensive or overseas-made shutters. These damaging rays can eat away at protective coating over time. Once the coating is gone, the sun may damage the paint and cause it to appear yellow.
Scheduled cleaning will help keep your shutters looking new. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much you can do to fix it. The best way to prevent your shutters from yellowing is to take advantage of high-quality ones that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like most other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good an investment as they initially appear to be.
- They sometimes won’t fit your windows very well. For peak energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters should fit tightly against the window frame. Cheaper plantation shutters are frequently not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management could suffer as a result.
- They’re built from poor materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are reliant on low-quality materials, such as vinyl and composite, and are frequently hollow. In addition to yellowing, they might also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to warping, splitting or chipping.
- They’re painted with low-quality paint. Poor-quality paint sometimes contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These substances can be emitted by your shutters over time, producing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in many people. It’s also helpful to know that poor-quality paint may not include a protective UV coating, which could increase the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what type of quality you could get with plantation shutters that are shipped from overseas. They tend to be lower quality than ones that are made in America.
- They may need continuous maintenance. Poorly made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if pieces become loose or louvers begin to sag. In some cases, you may not be able to repair sagging louvers if your shutters don’t have tension screws.
- They don’t come with a warranty.
Louver Shop of Macon Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Macon, we’ve been building our company on outstanding plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a smart decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are alike, and your window treatments need to reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can browse all the options as long as you need. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll have the chance to fully customize your plantation shutters. And with our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a seamless fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from superior materials. Whether you choose our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most classic look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We use an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look great but last for years.
- Our plantation shutters are finished with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Macon plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for use since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also guaranteed against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters at our plant in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they high quality, this means you’ll also obtain them much sooner, frequently within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are easy to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are backed by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Macon plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also provide a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Macon Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your house’s sense of comfort. Choosing the right ones means you’ll enjoy beautiful shutters for years with stress-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re sure to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Macon by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.